Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Homework time

It's not a secret that I like to be organized and I like my kids to be organized. That's not to say that I am always organized. We fly by the seat of our pants a lot but we are all happier when we are organized or at least I am. I have my list of daily tasks that rotate daily in my palm pilot that I rather enjoy checking off as I complete them. I also have monthly or quarterly larger jobs that show up every so often. They tend to pile up or always be in the red. To help me organize my kids and make them more independent, Megan and Jayce have file boxes filled with pictures on cards of tasks that I want them to do each day. When they are finished with a task, they move the card behind the red "all done" card in their box. The kids earn tokens for each task they earn to exchange for a privelage. The cards keep them on task with less nagging from me. Colton likes the idea of earning tokens. He's not ready for the file box so I have his night routine in pictures and as he finishes one he takes it off the chart and puts it in an envelop in back. I just started this with him this week and he's catching on.

3 comments:

Mark Katy said...

AWESOME!! Thanks for the great ideas!! Katy

Unknown said...

What a great idea! I need to get with you and steal some of your ideas.

Emily said...

That is SO awesome!!! I'm an orginizer... Ira just calls me OCD.. OH WELL! It keeps me sane to be orginized. I bet the kids really do love it.