Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Lessons learned while sanding the picnic table

Today I started the huge task of sanding our redwood picnic table. The wind has eroded much of the old finish off and it's getting so you can't hardly sit on the bench without getting a sticker in the bum. What a job. I worked on it for about 3 hours today and I got almost 2 slats in the table sanded. This is the first time I've taken on a job like this and I've learned a few lessons today that tomorrow I hope I will remember.
  1. Don't wear regular clothes to do sanding. Wear your grubbies. It's a messy job.
  2. Don't bring on open drink cup outside when sanding. The sawdust (what do you call it when you're sanding and not sawing?) will get into it. Sorry kids :)
  3. If you don't wear a mouth and nose mask, you will be sneezing and blowing red snot from your nose.
  4. Thirty minutes later and the hands still vibrate. Reminds me of when I stuck wet hands in exposed electrical wires in our kitchen stove when I was a kid. Not a feeling I have forgotten.
  5. When the wind starts blowing and you see your sand paper blowing in the wind STOP SANDING. The dust in the eyes doesn't feel good. Therefore, I almost got two slats sanded.

No comments: